Bluestem Biosciences, Inc., is designing biology with the end in mind, to enable existing infrastructure in the Midwest for industrial biotechnology.
We are leveraging digital biology to facilitate discovery for biomanufacturing, focused on the sustainable production of chemicals and materials.
We are seeking a full-time Computational Chemist to join Bluestem’s discovery efforts in creating de novo proteins and pathways for sustainable biomanufacturing. Ideal candidates will be highly experienced in computational tools to predict protein binding interactions. This role will apply machine learning, cheminformatics and structural modeling methods to assist in Bluestem’s efforts in discovery.
- Work with a high level of collaboration and autonomy to carry out structure and biocatalysis design and data analysis
- Spearhead efforts for curating, building and evaluating tools for bio-pathway prediction and design based on generalized reaction rules.
- Participate in the implementation and architecture of chemistry related tools into the Bluestem computational platform
- Continually refine and optimize strategy for structure-based and reaction-based predictive tools to enhance accuracy and effectiveness of the computational tools
- Stay up-to-date with cutting edge computational chemistry, in particular structure-based, biocatalyst AI/ML tools
- Conducting high-throughput virtual screening utilizing modern computational techniques such as quantitative structure activity relationship models.
- Work to automate in silico workflows, data ingestion and evaluation.
- Contribute to the advancement of Bluestem’s techno-economic modeling process
- Develop deep domain expertise by keeping up to date with literature and the latest computational technologies
- Ph.D. in Computational Chemistry, Computational Biology or related field, with 2+ years of industry or academic (post-doc) experience
- Extensive knowledge of relevant programming languages and available computational tools
- Working knowledge wet-lab techniques and workflows in protein expression and characterization
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment (start-up!)
- Self-starter and ability to lead projects, build relationships and be a vocal representative of the company
- Working knowledge of available computational tools, capabilities and strategies
- Organizational agility and the ability to show collaboration and interest across the organization to bring together multi-disciplines and synthesize for external communications
- Possess a Growth Mindset and open mind that seeks continuous learning from feedback, setbacks and failure on the journey to achieving results
- Embraces diversity, models equity in action and contributes to a high trust and inclusive work environment that supports team members in doing the best work of their careers at Bluestem
- Humble, Hungry and Smart with a grounded “otherish” approach to collaboration, an ownership mentality with a bias towards execution, and the ability to read and lead yourself so that you can more effectively read and lead others
Bluestem is excited to offer a remote-first working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person every quarter or two at Bluestem’s hub, in Omaha, NE. We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Bluestem is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing email@example.com