REMOTE OR OMAHA, NE
Bluestem Biosciences, Inc., is designing biology with the end in mind, to enable existing infrastructure in the Midwest for industrial biotechnology. We are leveraging digital biology to facilitate discovery for biomanufacturing, focused on the sustainable production of chemicals and materials.
We are seeking a full-time ML/AI Engineer to support Bluestem’s scientific strategy and execute on a multi-year roadmap. Ideal candidates will have experience in the design, development, enhancement and implementation of AI solutions.
The ML/AI Engineer will work closely with the head of Bluestem’s computational team to guide the vision and value provided by Bluestem’s proprietary technology, Compass.
Bluestem’s programming languages of choice are Python and SQL, and DNA, but you are someone who loves writing elegant code in any language. Plus, you’re an experienced data wrangler who enjoys building systems from the ground up. Most importantly, you will be passionate about making biology the next engineering discipline.
This role reports directly to the VP of Platform
- Perform statistical analysis
- Fine tuning test results
- Train and retrain systems
- Work on frameworks
- Undertaking machine learning experiments and test
- Designing machine learning programs
- Developing deep learning systems to various use cases based on the business needs and
- Finally implementing suitable AI/ML algorithms
- Preferred degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or similar courses or fields
- Experience designing and training machine learning models to tackle critical business problems
- Proficiency training large scale models using modern machine learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Experience in machine learning, deep learning, information retrieval, natural language processing or data mining
- Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design, and model building
- Ability to write code in Java and Python
- Good understanding and strong knowledge in algorithms and statistics
- Appreciation of data modelling, software architecture and data structures and
- Past experience of working in frameworks in last job
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment (start-up!)
- Self-starter and ability to lead projects, build relationships and be a vocal representative of the company
- Working knowledge of available computational tools, capabilities and strategies
- Organizational agility and the ability to show collaboration and interest across the organization to bring together multi-disciplines and synthesize for external communications
- Possess a Growth Mindset and open mind that seeks continuous learning from feedback, setbacks and failure on the journey to achieving results
- Embraces diversity, models equity in action and contributes to a high trust and inclusive work environment that supports team members in doing the best work of their careers at Bluestem
- Humble, Hungry and Smart with a grounded “otherish” approach to collaboration, an ownership mentality with a bias towards execution, and the ability to read and lead yourself so that you can more effectively read and lead others
Bluestem is excited to offer a remote-first working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person every quarter or two at Bluestem’s hub, in Omaha, NE. We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Bluestem is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing email@example.com