LOCATION: REMOTE, WASHINGTON DC, OR OMAHA, NE
Bluestem Biosciences, Inc., is designing biology with the end in mind, to enable existing infrastructure in the Midwest for industrial biotechnology. We are leveraging digital biology to facilitate discovery for biomanufacturing, focused on the sustainable production of chemicals and materials.
We are seeking a full-time Vice President of Government Affairs & Sustainability to lead Bluestem’s government and environmental strategy and relationships. Ideal candidates have existing relationships in government, regulatory, industry and environmental groups.
The VP will work closely with the CEO and business development efforts to create public-private partnerships at the local, state and federal levels. This candidate will lead the relationship building between these agencies and spearhead all of the documentation required, including but not limited to; grants, requests for information, research proposals and company information. Bluestem believes there is a significant opportunity for public-private engagement in synthetic biology and the VP will be a leading voice and thought leader.
Additionally, Bluestem’s value proposition is a significant reduction in carbon intensity of biologically derived products. The VP will help shape the company’s voice and mission on sustainability efforts and goals – and coordinate with the business development team on ways to maximize our impact on the environment with our strategic commercial partners. This candidate will be instrumental in shaping our ESG goals for Bluestem and building the framework and roadmap for our ambitions. This report will be a critical part of our strategic partnerships and integrations with commercial counterparties.
Ideal candidates will be passionate about government, regulatory and environmental initiatives – and they see this role sitting at the intersection of those disciplines. The VP will be responsible for synthesizing many aspects of the business for external communication and presentation preparation for a variety of interested parties.
This role reports to the Chief Executive Officer
- Lead all grant and requests for information for local, state and federal objectives
- Responsible for external communications and composition of press release, presentations and formal information requests
- Establish public-private partnerships to support the scientific & development teams
- Build strategic relationships for Bluestem in the emerging world of synthetic biology
- Forge relationships across government to provide thought leadership on matters related to synthetic biology, regional bioeconomies and Bluestem
- Create an ESG framework and company sustainability roadmap
- Prepare internal and external communications for regulatory and sustainability matters
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment (start-up!)
- Self-starter and ability to lead projects, build relationships and be a vocal representative of the company
- Experience in grant writing at various levels (local, state, federal, national institutes)
- Excellent communicator and relationship builder and are skilled at global strategy development, internal/external communications, managing multiple stakeholders, leading teams and adapting to change
- Experience defining strategic objectives and translating them into articulate materials
- An ESG thought leader experienced at engaging with and speaking to key internal and external stakeholders, customers, investors and government bodies, including public events
- Organizational agility and the ability to show collaboration and interest across the organization to bring together multi-disciplines and synthesize for external communications
- Possess a Growth Mindset and open mind that seeks continuous learning from feedback, setbacks and failure on the journey to achieving results
- Embraces diversity, models equity in action and contributes to a high trust and inclusive work environment that supports team members in doing the best work of their careers at Bluestem
- Humble, Hungry and Smart with a grounded “otherish” approach to collaboration, an ownership mentality with a bias towards execution, and the ability to read and lead yourself so that you can more effectively read and lead others
Bluestem is excited to offer a remote-first working model. Team members can work primarily remotely. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person every quarter or two at Bluestem’s hub, in Omaha, NE. We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Bluestem is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing email@example.com